The Humble Beginning
A century ago, in the year 1920, a small group of religious minded Straits-Born Chinese, not by chance, but must be the result of their good deeds in their past lives, brought them together to learn and practise the Teachings of Lord Buddha. Little did they know that their pious act of gathering regularly around a small bronze Buddha image would eventually grow into a reputable Buddhist Association in Malaysia and some parts of the world known as Malacca Buddhist Association or better known as Seck Kia Eenh. Led by the late Mr. Yeo Joay Tee, JP., the other pioneers were Mr. Chan Eng Kiat, Mr. Chan Hong Teck, Mr. Chan Chuan Tong, Mr. Seet Lian Seng, Mr. Tan Soo Lock, Mr. Ong Lian Boon, Mr. Tan Meng Tee, Mr. Lim Tong Chiow, Mr. Toh Seng Watt, Mr. Loh Kim Sin, JP., Mr. Chan Cheng Kiat and Dr. Tan Seng Tee, MBE, JP
This bronze Buddha image, which depicts Lord Buddha in the “Asking the Earth to Witness” posture, currently sitting serenely in the main shrine hall, was presented by Venerable P. Ratanatissa, who personally brought it from Rangoon, Burma, now known as Yangon, Myanmar in 1922.
At that time, without a proper premise of their own, the Buddha was initially installed in the Geok Siow Kong Temple, Tranquerah and later in 1922, the image was moved to the Kwan Imm Tong Temple, Jonker Street. On 13 January 1941, the Buddha image was finally installed in Seck Kia Eenh and currently sits serenely in the Main Shrine hall.
APPRECIATING THE PAST, GROWING THE FUTURE